Bristly Logo

Time to make your inbox pawsome

Sign up today and get 10% OFF your first purchase!

How to Keep Your Dog Safe from Potentially Dangerous Substances

How to Keep Your Dog Safe from Potentially Dangerous Substances

Picture this: you come home from work and you're greeted with a pile of vomit and your pup is laying in his bed, not bothering to come greet you after a long day. It could be stomach issues again, but what if he got into something he shouldn't like cleaning supplies or human food? Every pet owner should be prepared to handle the emergency situation of if their pet is poisoned.

The third week in March is National Poison Prevention week, so we've rounded up the most common household items that are toxic to dogs, the signs and symptoms of poisoning, and the steps to take if your pet does ingest a toxin so that you can keep your furry friend safe. Read on for more:  

Dangerous Substances for Dogs
There are products all around your house that, unless you're careful, can cause some serious harm to your four-legged friend. Here are a few categories of common household items that are toxic to dogs:

  • Foods:
    • Caffeine
    • Chocolate
    • Garlic
    • Grapes
    • Macadamia Nuts
    • Onions
    • Raisins
    • Salt
    • Yeast
  • General household products:
    • Antifreeze
    • Fabric Softener sheets
    • Lawn Fertilizer
    • Mothballs
    • Pain Relieving Medicine
    • Prescription Medication
    • Tobacco Products
  • Plants and flowers:
    • Aloe Vera
    • Chrysanthemum
    • Daylily
    • Dogbane
    • English Ivy
    • Foxglove
    • Hibiscus
    • Hyacinth and Tulip (especially the bulbs)
    • Hydrangea
    • Lily-of-the-Valley
    • Narcissus, Daffodil 
    • Peace Lily
    • Poinsettia
Note that this is not a complete list and that other common household items can be dangerous to dogs. Although accidents do happen, the best route to avoid potential animal poisoning is prevention. If you have any of the above products in your household, the best method of action is to put the objects out of your dog's reach. 

Signs your dog may have been poisoned

There are a few signs that make it obvious that your pooch has ingested a toxic substance. The most obvious being vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy. Other symptoms may include:
  • Abnormal Breathing/Heart Rate
  • Dizziness
  • Loss of Appetite
  • Loss of Coordination
  • Nosebleeds
  • Seizures 

What do to if your dog ingests a toxin

If your dog is exhibiting any of the above symptoms after ingesting a potentially harmful substance, it is in your dog's best interest to contact your veterinarian right away.

The vet will probably ask you to bring your dog in, depending on the severity of the symptoms. It is always a good idea to being in the substance that your dog ingested, if you know what it is, especially if it contains chemicals like fertilizer or a cleaning product.

The vet may also ask you to give your pup medicine, fluids to dilute the poison, or something to help it go through your dog's system. Do not take these steps unless you have the advice of a veterinary professional.

Taking these steps without the advice of a vet may cause your pet to become further hurt. In the event that you cannot reach an emergency vet if your pet is poisoned, there are several hotlines available: 


Bristly Logo